June 20th, 2015 - Atom Age Vampire (1960)


Abbreviated Entry...

So most of June has been pretty brutal for me schedule-wise. Big Time Life Events™ of close family members (weddings/funerals/reunions) have conspired to make the movie-every-day thing rather difficult. I've still managed to watch one every day, but the end result of everything life has thrown my way is that I'm as exhausted as I've ever been. So to keep my sanity (and this blog going), I'm going to do things a bit differently for a little while - I watched the movies, but rather than the standard entry, I'll just do a little synopsis, a little imdb research, quote some of the reviews (can you do that?) and bounce off of them. Followed up by my general impressions.

Okay, thanks!

Atom Age Vampire

I want to do the synopsis thing here, but honestly, Atom Age Vampire has pretty much evaporated from my mind. I checked it out after a *long* drive home from a family reunion, was probably wasted tired, and the film was just flat-out uncompelling. I remember a woman who was disfigured in a car crash, and a mad scientist who was trying to help her. I'm sure he had to kill people to get the formula together to fix her face, but I can't concretely confirm or deny that. The scientist falls in love with the woman, she gets frightened of him, but needs him to save her face. That's about what I've got. Oh yeah, and there is no vampire.

So I'm a bad blogger, but I literally can't remember this film. And, simply put, I just won't watch it again. (I put "can't watch" there originally, but that's not true. I just don't have the time or desire.) Anything I say will just be regurgitated from these reviews. So I'm not even going to bother here. Just read them, if you're interested. It sounds like it was pretty well chopped to pieces for the American edit (it's an Italian film), so maybe the original cut was good.

So my apologies to anyone who came here for an in-depth, cutting review of Atom Age Vampire. I guess I'm playing the "it's my blog and I'll do what I want card." I've got nothing.

This dark and mean-spirited Italian production comes out as very weak compared to any of the previous titles, mainly because of its cheapness and lack of credibility. The other titles had convincing and naturally evil-looking mad doctors in the lead roles, while Albert Lupo in "Atom Age Vampire" more looks like an amateurish clown, completely incapable of developing breakthrough medical treatments. The fact that he spontaneously transforms into a hideous monster himself doesn't really help, neither…In fact, that was rather awkward…
     -Thanks "Coventry" via imdb


Okay, the film is not as bad as some make it out to be. Yes, the editing is a little sloppy. And yes, some parts are chopped out (though I would never know if I hadn't read about it). But the acting and plot and everything else are just fine. It's a story of a stripper who gets disfigured in a car accident (not unlike the car accident in "Carnival of Souls") and is taken in by a scientist who has invented "Derma 28" which can cure all skin blemishes and maybe even cancer. As you can expect fro ma horror film, something goes wrong and hilarity ensues. There is one big twist in the middle I never saw coming and I loved it.

……Oh, and there's not a single vampire in this movie.
     -Thanks "gavin6942" via imdb


Arresting sci-fi film marred by horrid editing and dubbing
     -Thanks "Glenn Andreiev" via imdb


So these guys seemed to like it okay. I mean, the fact almost any trace of the film has vanished from my mind leads me to believe that there wasn't much to offer. Usually, even if I'm super tired or whatever, I can remember if a movie is good or spectacularly bad. But if it's just kind of boring? That's what I suspect Atom Age Vampire is. Cool title card though.

I would   not recommend   this film.

No comments:

Post a Comment