June 10th, 2015 - Satan's School for Girls (1973)


Abbreviated Entry...

So most of June has been pretty brutal for me schedule-wise. Big Time Life Events™ of close family members (weddings/funerals/reunions) have conspired to make the movie-every-day thing rather difficult. I've still managed to watch one every day, but the end result of everything life has thrown my way is that I'm as exhausted as I've ever been. So to keep my sanity (and this blog going), I'm going to do things a bit differently for a little while - I watched the movies, but rather than the standard entry, I'll just do a little synopsis, a little imdb research, quote some of the reviews (can you do that?) and bounce off of them. Followed up by my general impressions.

Okay, thanks!

Satan's School for Girls

A young woman has died in what appears to be a suicide. But her sister Elizabeth isn't buying it, and goes to investigate just what her sister was doing in the days leading up to her death. She enrolls in the same school her sister was in (The Salem Academy for Women), and as you might expect, begins to find some shady goings-on there. But who is the culprit? One of the teachers? The weirdo headmistress? Or is the place just straight up haunted?

This made for TV horror thriller is a lot better than it's ridiculous title would have you believe, which is really saying something since the title is actually a pretty apt description of what goes on in the movie.
     -Thanks "Michael DeZubria" via imdb


I was terribly disappointed to find out that this was a made for TV movie. The title alone seems to promise some crazy 70's exploitation goodness. But obviously, being aired on television neuters just about all of that. It's not a *bad* movie per se; Satan's School for Girls is competently made and there is some decent atmosphere. The mystery isn't too in depth - I think there are only like two possible culprits, but still - it passed the time okay.

This 70's telefilm can sort of be looked at as an earlier, far less extravagant version of "Suspiria". After a strong opening, emphasis is firmly placed on the investigation aspect...

There are some good moments here, but a few too many scenes of exploring dark corridors slow the film considerably. The ending is predictable, but I suppose that's to be expected given the title. It's worth a look, but don't expect one of the better TV horrors.
     -Thanks "Justin Stokes" via imdb


A totally neutered Suspiria is a good way to describe Satan's School for Girls. It goes for the same creepy school vibe but doesn't have the resources (talent, budget, or rating flexibility) to even come close to being as effective as Argento's film. In contrast to the reviewer here, I actually thought the "dark corridor" scenes were probably the most effective of the film. Honestly, it's really the only time the film has any tension to it - and for a TV movie I'll take what I can get.

The film is completely bloodless,so fans of gore will be disappointed.The acting is pretty good with familiar TV cast to boost.So if you like horror movies from early 70's check out "Satan's School for Girls"-still it beats most of the crap being put out today.Highly recommended.
     -Thanks "HumanoidOfFlesh" via imdb


I'm not sure if the reviewer is referring to the TV movie crap being put out today? I guess if they mean a SyFy movie of the week, then yeah, Satan's School for Girls probably has that beat. But it's funny to me that there was actually a major network willing to air a film called Satan's School for Girls (and a remake in 2000). I just can't see anyone getting behind that now. Thanks Obama!

Overall, Satan's School for Girls was mostly a disappointment - for me mostly just based on the title. I expected a blood orgy, and instead I got a pretty simple tale of a young woman investigating a pretty bland satanic cult. There's nothing outright bad about it, but there are certainly better ways to spend your time.

I would   not recommend   this film.

No comments:

Post a Comment