July 14th, 2015 - Eraserhead (1977)


Prior to watching Eraserhead, I was mostly only familiar with David Lynch by reputation. I maybe saw Lost Highway as a teen (damned memory - I definitely had the soundtrack, at least), and am currently a couple of episodes into season 2 of Twin Peaks. That's about it. But even knowing that he's a really weird dude didn't really prepare me for the weirdness (and really, the grossness) of Eraserhead. Because yeah... it's really fucking weird. And honestly, I at least expected more of a *movie* movie - at least in the sense of having a traditional plot/central-conflict, or even normal dialogue... but nope. I'm quite certain that Eraserhead is good, but it's also persistently and aggressively off-putting.

Which is why I think Eraserhead would be a great candidate for a remake. I mean, it's a recognizable brand and beloved in some circles. But it's old enough now that we could introduce a whole new generation to it - keeping it's sensibilities, but being marketably "outsider" enough to appeal to at least parts of all four quadrants. Could you imagine how badass those puppet babies would be in CGI? And the merchandising would be a no-brainer - how many Henry Spencer costumes would you see next Halloween? And the snacks you could tie in... it practically writes itself! C'mon Hollywood - give us a remake the people *actually* want!

If you've seen Eraserhead, hopefully you know I'm joking. It's pretty much the most unremakable film that I've ever seen. (Although there is a perverse part of my that would love to see a studio tentpole version of this film.) It's just so relentlessly weird and legitimately unsettling that it's hard not to admire it. I didn't "enjoy" it in the traditional sense, but it is a very well-made piece of art. Provided that it's totally trying to freak you out and get under your skin - there's no doubt that in succeeds in what it is trying to do.

A traditional plot synopsis is worthless here. It's about a guy named Henry Spencer and his trials and tribulations in - I've heard an industrial wasteland, but I'd be more inclined to say desolate city. If I had to sum up the film in a word, it'd be "lonely." More important than the plot - the black and white photography is excellent, as is the whole look of the film. It just adds to the barren and isolated feeling you get while watching it. There are some pretty neat special effects too - some cool stop motion animation, and some really cool (and icky) puppetry.

But the main thing that stuck out to me was the sound. Man alive, was it rough. I mean, intentionally so - it's supposed to make you feel uncomfortable (I think), and wow, does it succeed. You get these oddly looped, or maybe even just constant background noises that kind of alternate between being grating and hypnotic. Puppies nursing, or a steam vent, uh... steaming - some of it has a nails on chalkboard quality, but that's all part of the experience, I guess. There are times where the background noise would get all loud in the mix, and it'd start to just rattle around in my brain, and I'd have to turn it down. I literally don't know if I could handle this movie in the theater. But again, I'm usually on the lookout for something unique - and I can't say I've ever had a movie actively try to chase me out of it like Eraserhead. Whether that's a good thing or not is up to you.

I won't get into the symbolism or analyzing David Lynch here because (1) I'm bad at it, and (2) I'm sure there's no shortage of it out there. Eraserhead is super-artsy and has a pretty hardcore following and seems tailor-made for fan analysis. If I wasn't watching a movie a day, I'd surely check some of it out.

Oh, and why not... a dog:


Name: ???
Breed: Hard to say - German Shepard/Lab Mix, or something?
Function: To just sit there and be suckled by her pups during Henry Spencer's awkward meet the parents moment, providing an oddly terrifying soundtrack that will haunt your dreams. And a little bit of foreshadowing.
Fate: N/A. We never see (or thankfully hear) from the dog or the pups again.

Anyways, is Eraserhead a good movie? I don't know. Is it worth seeing? Absolutely. Would I see it again? Probably - although I'll go in with a very wary attitude. It's a powerful piece of art that is unlike anything I have ever seen. But I also kind of hated the way it made me feel. Sorry if this is kind of a vague entry... if you've seen it, hopefully you can relate. If not - check it out. I'd say it's a horror film, but less in the "cool and fun" way and more in the "deeply unsettling and depressing" way.

I would   recommend   this film.

No comments:

Post a Comment