November 13th, 2015 - Fraternity Demon (1992)


Really shitty things happened in the world today. I wasn't looking forward to watching a movie, and wasn't really in the mood for anything. So I "meditated" a bit - probably the closest I can get to actually shutting down my brain entirely is by mindlessly perusing through movie titles on Netflix and Amazon. It's almost zen-like in it's calmness... After about 20 minutes, I think I realized I didn't actually care, and eventually landed on Fraternity Demon. I think I just saw "college kids accidentally unleash a sex demon," and on this particular night, that was enough.

And it's not very good! Never mind the fact that its barely a horror film at all. (If I was doing a "dumb sex comedy a day" blog, this would be perfect.) Other than the fact that she's called a "demon" (complete with stupid devil horns), there's nothing even close to horror here. No tension, no atmosphere, no scares, no blood... no one even dies! A couple of guys get sexed by the demon and you *think* that might be the end of them, but it turns out they are just tired. So... there's that.

Anyways, here's what's going on. A fraternity at some college is SUPER stoked that a big rock band is playing at their frat house. The band is famous, I guess, in a super cheesy, late-80s hair metal way. The sexy singer's assless chaps probably doesn't hurt their popularity any. The frat has managed to get an entire sorority house to come join the party, and they are TOTALLY going to get laid, bro! Although to be fair, this isn't a super bro-tastic frat. It's actually pretty diverse in terms of "types" of people (nerds, jocks, emo dudes, etc.) But one of the nerdy guys is doing a project for his a-hole professor... and the professor accidentally left his sex-demon-summoning recipe in there. Oops! So that happens. And then the demon has sex with a few guys - not really in a softcore/skinemax way - yes, you see her breasts often but on the whole it's more comedic. And the party happens, the band plays some (bad) tunes, and nerdy guy and a-hole prof. must work together to send the demon back from whence she came.

So, Fraternity Demon is pretty stupid. The humor doesn't really work, ever. I think I smirked once in the third act, but other than that it's unfunny. Not painfully unfunny. Just unfunny. And it just doesn't deliver on it's flimsy premise - I just expect more when I hear "demon." When you get down to Hell, it's pretty much just a red sheet backdrop and a chintzy altar.

The main characters are not all that likable or interesting. They just don't have any qualities that you can get behind. The main nerdy guy is trying to get good grades so he can get a Camero from his parents - not really the most noble of causes, you know? Plus, he's just kind of a doofus... this one kind of nerdy girl (who would probably be super sexy if she would *only* take her glasses off and let her hair down) is totally into him, and he's just oblivious. You assume they'll get together and it will be (somewhat) heart-warming, but Fraternity Demon makes it happen in the least interesting way possible.

And how about that sex demon? She's a little older than I expected her to be, and since this film has kind of a hair-metal aesthetic I would say she reminded me of a more voluptuous Lita Ford. She even gets to sing a (bad) musical number. You know, the kind where the band doesn't even need to practice with her and she knows all the words and things just manage to go off without a hitch. But she's not really ever presented in a way that's sexy... yes, nudity and whatnot, but the goofy tone of the whole shebang just makes it not really work.

And that sums up Fraternity Demon on the whole. It just doesn't work. Maybe I should have known better - it's not entirely shocking that a movie called Fraternity Demon is not well thought out or well executed. But I was just looking for dumb fun... and no luck there either. It's a dumb sex comedy that does the bare minimum to be "sexy" and where the comedy misses the mark.

I would   not recommend   this film.

No comments:

Post a Comment